Technical Advice for Level 5 - Advanced Dancers
Dancers in Level 5 - Advanced Classes
- Classical Ballet should continue and always be a part of any dancers training as it provides the necessary technical foundation, quality of movement and artistry that supports most genres of dance. By the time a dancer is in ballet level 5, they have been studying technical foundation, body alignment and posture.
In level 5 – advanced we focus on quality of movement and developing artistry. In addition to the many physical benefits of classical training (impeccable technique and a beautiful sculpted body), ballet helps develop the mind and attitude of the dancer with discipline, focus and an appreciation of structure which are critical attributes for continued and successful dance education. Ballet training is essential for any dancer who wants to excel in jazz and contemporary styles as the technique and vocabulary for these disciplines come from ballet.
- Ballet classes are held twice a week for levels 5 and up. Dancers can intensify their technical training by adding Ballet Intensive to their schedule; this will add one more additional ballet technique class each week.
- In level 5, a dancer will want to add jazz to their dance training as they are approaching their “tween” years. Jazz technique will build strength, flexibility, body and mental awareness and style; providing the necessary knowledge and skills for possible participation in junior and senior high school extracurricular activities such as dance company, drill team, and musical theatre. Because of the technical demands in jazz, students are encouraged to supplement their jazz training with classical ballet or jazz technique classes.
- Modern/Contemporary is another dance genre that would be important to add at this level if a dancer wants to be on a high school dance company (as most high school dance companies are modern based) and if they plan to continue dance in higher education.
- If a dancer wants to take pointe, they will want to register for pre-pointe in level 6. Dancers who register for pointe must be registered for ballet twice a week and be in ballet level 6 or higher.
- Other dance classes that are available for dancers at this age; Ballet Intensive, Pre-Pointe, Pointe, Jazz, Jazz Technique, Modern, Acro/Tumbling, Hip-Hop, Tap and Ballroom.
- Programs available for dancers at this age; PEEPs Ballet and Jazz Performance Programs (for 5th and 6th graders), the Varsity Competition Jazz Program (for 5th-9th graders), Ensemble (for 7th-12th graders) and the Conservatory Competitive Jazz Program (for 5th-12th graders; by special invitation only).